This Things to Do Thursday, we are all about cleaning out our closets! This task can be stressful, but it can also help relieve stress in more ways than one! Firstly, any kind of organization is a sort of cleansing of the soul and secondly, you can sleep in ten extra minutes cause you know where your stuff is! Here’s one very truthful statement ZenHabits.net had to say about clutter:
“Clutter is holding onto the past, or fear of the future”
I would highly recommend visiting this site to read the rest of the article…it is very eye opening! Now on to the rest of our article! Below is a little list to help you get started in cleaning out your closet. Don’t make it a chore, relax and go with it. Yes, there will be those items that may bring you to tears but honestly, what has it done for you lately?
• If you have any stacked clothes, take a look at what’s on the bottom of these piles. Most likely they are clothes you almost never wear.
• Put all clothing that you have worn in the last year in one pile.
• Pile up clothes that you have not worn in the last year.
• Of course there is a “maybe” pile! At the end of your closet clean try those clothes on.
• Any clothes that have a special meaning? I have my wedding dress, lettermen’s jackets, the top I was wearing when my husband proposed…anything like that? Bag it and put it somewhere safe, in the attic or in the corner of the closet.
• Can’t decide if you want to get rid of something? Ask yourself these questions:
1. How many times have I questioned myself about this item?
2. How old was I when I last wore this?
3. Is it still in good condition?
• When going through your shoes, check to see if a cobbler can fix them if they are an absolute must keep.
• If you are at a happy and healthy weight, do not keep those pants that are five sizes too big. Congratulate yourself for being happy and healthy and replace them with a new pair!
• When all else fails, grab a friend and ask for their opinion. A friend that will unfortunately tell you the truth.
• When you have finally finished the cleansing of the closet, you have several choices of what you can do with the ones you no longer want:
1. Gather some friends and do a clothing exchange.
2. Sell your clothes to a store that will re-sell them.
3. Sell them at a garage sale.
4. Donate them.
• Keep in mind that if you decide to do this all in one day, relax, turn on the music, and remind yourself that you will ultimately feel better in the end. If doing this in one day seems like a daunting task then break it up into several days or into chunks of minutes!
Good luck and let Polkadot Tango know what you do to de-clutter! Here’s some inspirational closets to get your de-clutter vibes going!