With the first official day of summer approaching on June 20 (A.K.A. my birthday), everyone is getting ready for backyard BBQs, pool parties, and trips to the lake. But anyone who lives in Fresno knows that with this summer fun comes Fresno’s terrible summer heat. Keeping hydrated during this season is a must whether you’re out taking a hike or just laying out by the pool catching some rays. Fitsugar.com has 1o simple ways to keep hydrated this summer:
- Eat your water. Chowing down on water-filled foods like watermelon, is an easy and refreshing way to keep hydrated.
- Swap soda for sparkling water. If you’re trying to kick a soda habit, sparkling water is a healthy, but still fizzy, alternative.
- Hydrate before exercising. Be sure to drink water before exercising to maximize your workout.
- Drink water on the plane. If you’re traveling this Summer, don’t forget to drink up the H2O on the plane.
- Stay hydrated at work. Even when working indoors, it’s important to keep the fluids handy.
- Drink water before meals. By drinking water before meals, not only will you stay hydrated but you’re less likely to overeat.
- Have enough on hand. When you’re spending the day camping or biking, it’s important to bring enough water to last the trip.
- Spice it up with healthy flavoring. If you’re having a hard time getting enough water, spice it up with some natural flavoring.
- Keep track of your daily water intake. Try this tasty and handy way to keep track of your H2O intake.
- Keep a reusable bottle with you. Having a water bottle with you at all times is the easiest way to stay hydrated without even thinking about it.
Dehydration is not something you want to face. Especially in children and elders. Here are some warning signs I pulled from webmd.com.
- Increased thirst
- Dry mouth and swollen tongue
- Palpitations (feeling that the heart is jumping or pounding)
- Sluggishness fainting
- Inability to sweat
- Decreased urine output
So please, keep plenty of water around and don’t forget the sunscreen!